9. Filling the H2 side is usually enough, and the water level will balance when the unit is operated.
Adjusting the system for optimum performance:
The system works best when the H2 and O2 sides of the electrolyser are balanced.
1. Look at the KOH level of the electrolyser. The two sides should be within a ??ch of each other.
2. If not, add a little distilled water to either the H2 final backpressure test tube, or vinegar to the O2 final backpressure tube. Wait for 20 minutes or so and recheck level. Add more water or vinegar as needed. Do not let the test tubes get too full, especially the O2 final backpressure tube.
Changing the KOH
KOH is available at most local science shops, or from the science shops on the web. You may also contact us and we will sell you enough KOH for the change. An alternative is to use NaOH (sodium hydroxide), available at any grocery or hardware store as Red Devil Lye or in many drain cleaning products. Make sure to use a product that contains only NaOH. NaOH is not as efficient as KOH, so a slight drop in power and efficiency may result.
1. The KOH does not need to be changed for a very long time as long as distilled water is used and the system is kept in proper balance. This can be months or years before a change of electrolyser KOH is needed.
2. To change the KOH remove the two outlet tubes and reconnect the ?per??be between the O2 and H2 sides.
3. Cut the 4 zip ties holding the unit in place.
4. Remove the electrolyser and take it to a sink. (This is a great way to get rid of that clog in the drain!)
5. Turn the faucet on, remove the ?per??nd turn the unit upside down until the KOH is drained.
6. Use the syringe and add some distilled water to flush the unit, then dump down the drain.
7. Replace the electrolyser back in the mounting base and secure it with zip ties, replace the O2 side hose.
8. Mix a solution of 1 part KOH to 3 parts distilled water by weight. (An eyeball measurement is good enough, the amount does not need to be exact.)
9. Mix the KOH into the water slowly, in a container that will withstand heat, and it is best to put the mixing container in a flat bottom tray with water. The mixing of KOH and water generates considerable heat. Do not make more than a few ounces, as not much is needed to fill the electrolyser.
10. When the KOH is completely dissolved use the syringe to draw an ounce at a time of the KOH solution.