Coming soon: A picture series showing the entire procedure.
Click here to see the KOH MSDS.
Operation of the Deluxe Fuel Cell Learning Kit
THE ELECTROLYSER CONTAINS KOH (POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE), AN EXTREMELY CAUSTIC SUBSTANCE. DO NOT LET KOH COME IN CONTACT WITH THE SKIN OR EYES. FOR SKIN CONTACT FLUSH WITH WATER AND THEN NUETRALIZE THE AREA WITH VINEGAR. FOR EYE CONTACT FLUSH WITH LARGE AMOUNTS OF WATER AND SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION.
KOH IS NO MORE DANGEROUS THAN MANY HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS SUCH AS DRAIN CLEANER OR OVEN CLEANER. PROPER SAFETY PROCEDURES SHOULD BE FOLLOWED SUCH AS GLOVES AND GOGGLES.
The Deluxe Fuel Cell Learning Kit is shipped assembled, with all components and the entire system tested prior to shipment.
To make the system operational:
1. Remove the hose connecting the two sides of the electrolyser.
2. Connect the H2 hose to the H2 side of the electrolyser.
3. Connect the O2 hose to the O2 side of the electrolyser.
4. Ensure that the 4WD Model Car switch is turned off.
5. Place the unit in the sun.
6. The electrolyser should start to bubble immediately.
7. After less than 1 minute bubbles should start coming out of both the first set of test tubes (the ones with the vinegar in them).
8. The H2 Storage Tower should start pushing water into the upper chamber.
9. When the H2 Storage Tower is full, the final backpressure test tube should start to bubble.
10. It will take about 10 (15 or more on a cloudy day) minutes to purge the air out of the H2 side of the system.
11. The fan will start to turn after about 5 minutes.
12. After the fan is spinning at full speed, turn the 4WD Model Car on.
13. The car wheels should start turning.
14. If the car does not turn, and the fan slows down, the system still needs to be purged. Turn the 4WD Model Car off and wait.
15. To speed up the process:
a. As the H2 Storage Tower is filling, lift the rubber stopper on the final backpressure test tube and let the H2 Storage Tower push the air out.
b. Lift the body off of the 4WD Model Car and spin the main drive gear slightly, this should start the wheels spinning. Do not try to turn the wheels, the gears may be damaged.